Friday, May 10, 2013

Loch Ness Nonster in a Planter ... Part I

Pin It

My son really loves the Loch Ness Monster. While trolling the internet for images of his favorite magical creature we came upon this British topiary frame. It is a huge Nessie that would fit well on a  large field or perhaps a palace lawn. Also it costs around $500. I have a small and shady Chicago yard and limited money to spend on my son's Nessie hobby so we came up with a much smaller and cheaper adaptation. I call this "part 1" because I am not really sure what to do with the thing now that it is ready. Hopefully in a month or so I will be able to add some photos of a verdant and mossy monster. For now I will provide directions on how to get started so you can make your topiary and get it planted up before summer.

Gigantic English TopiaryI found for sale.-

 
This is how you make a small topiary. I made mine to remsemble a sea monster. You can get creative and make a heart, a dinosaur, whatever you want, Simple is better, obviously. I used lightweight chicken wire and pliers.


Take chicken wire and form it into the shape you want. I made a bunch of tubes and attached them to each other. I added pipe cleaner ears.

When the frame is ready, fill it with soaking wet sphagnum moss. I bought a bag of this at a garden store. It expands quite a bit when it is wet (soak it for an hour or more) so a little goes a long way.

I decided to place my sea monster in an Earthbox that we are not using. You could also put it directly into your garden. I used some bent wires (picture croquet hoops) to attach Nessie to the soil and keep her standing up.

I clipped some ivy and planted it into the moss. It des not seem to be thriving but it also seems to till be alive so we will see what happens.



No comments:

Post a Comment