We are reblogging this very old post because no one really noticed it the first time around and we think it deserves a second look. Also, Corinne is sick with a cold and she takes all of our excellent photos (the dark and blurry ones are all my work) so we are going to put a brand new post on hold till she is ready to take some excellent picutres of the tiny Amish quilts we are making.
I decided to add some books to our dollhouse library. I thought an herbal picture book would be perfect as it could have pictures of herbs that I like, and I wouldn't worry about text for this first book.
First, figure out what your cover will be made of. I used felt but faux or real leather would also be nice. Fell free to alter sizes. I will give you the measurements for the book in the picture.
- Cut the felt into a 2 1/2 x 1 1/2 inch rectangle.
- Glue a small rectangle of thin paper on to it.
- Glue on 2 3-inch pieces of string.
- Next make some blank pages for your book. These will be 2 1/4 x 1 1/4 inches. They should be on thin white paper except for one end paper which should be colored or patterned paper.
- Now find some tiny pictures to add to your book. I used Google Images to find lots of herb images. Your rectangles will be folded in half to make two pages so make sure to locate small pictures.
- Cut out your blank pages and fold the white ones in half. Leave the endpaper flat.
- Glue your pictures into the book.
- I used three pages.
- Stack your pages together with the colored endpaper facing up.
- Use a sewing machine or stitch by hand right down the center.
- Glue your end paper down on top of the felt.
- Make a title and glue it on. I used Harrington size 8.