Friday, July 27, 2012

Miniature Greenhouse

Follow
Pin It

I have always wanted a greenhouse of my own. Until that day comes,
this miniature greenhouse is keeping me pretty happy.
I finally found a good use for all these old thimbles. They make
perfect planters for tiny succulent plants.

For the greenhouse,  I used a glass terrarium that was no longer, housing any plants.
Look around for terrariums terrariums and glass domes). there are lots of options out there
for creating a small greenhouse.
Besides thimbles, I used plastic bottle lids, for planters. They also sell very tiny little terracotta
pots, you can use. Be creative, any small waterproof container, that can hold dirt
should work.

A view from the top.
I just took snippets from plants already in our garden.

I used some old wooden bobbins, and wood block for tables.
                                            The kids helped to build the rock table in the back. 
They loved stacking the rocks so much, they came up with
their own little project,.
Throw in some tiny tools, (we had from other toys), and your greenhouse is ready!


Set it outside, and if you're lucky, you may have some little visitors!

If you like what you see subscribe to our blog, over on the right sidebar, or by email. 
We are posting new ideas all the time!

***If you enjoyed this post and like tiny things, check our latest post
And you can make a cute and tiny scout sash. like this one.

You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest, and we love comments, suggestions and
 ideas from you guys!


Pin It

15 comments:

  1. Very very cute greenhouse! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! My mind is racing with ideas to start my own. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, I love to hear this inspired you!

      Delete
  3. I featured you at Its So Very Cheri today.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cheri! If you have a link, please share, I'de love to see it.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie,

      I am sorry, this comment was accidentaly deleted, I was able to read your comment through email, so I thank you so much! (and I promise, we won't delete any more!)

      Delete
  5. Hello, I love these cute little thimble planters, but do the plants survive after you take them apart? If yes, what kind of care do they need?

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Aubrey, and thank you! Well, some plants survived better than others. The best were the succulent plants, I picked clippings off of my existing plants, that looked ready, like they had little shoots of roots. Then with enough dirt and watering lightly,(like just drops of water) they have done fine, in as much sunlight as you can get. They won't last in the tiny planters too long, before they grow, but were easy enough to gently remove and place in a bigger pot. I hope that answers your question.

      Delete
    2. Yes, it does. Thank you!! I can't to try it out

      Delete
    3. Oh, I also wanted to ask if there was a specific kind of soil to use and is it hard to take clippings from the plant (without killing it)? You see, I have no green thumb whatsoever and I have never actually taken a clipping from a plant. I don't want to kill the poor thing.

      Delete
    4. Well I am far from any expert on these. Succulent plants are a bit more hardy, as in, I have a harder time killing these than other types of plants! I also have no green thumb. So start with these and see if you have better luck. But if you choose these types of plants, you want a sandy or rocky soil...they require very little water, and lots of sun. I find they are easier to get clippings from. Depending where you live, it may be easier to get clippings in the spring/summer, sometimes the little pieces are shooting roots out, and the pieces almost falls off, waiting for a new planter! Good luck. And don't worry, I think it takes a little trial and error. If you start with such tiny clippings as these..you won't have killed a giant plant or anything = less guilt.

      Delete
    5. Thanks again for the reply! I received my succulents in the mail yesterday and I am ready to get started, but I'm scared ...lol. It's just that I had to order them from etsy and I will have to wait until spring/summer to get more (I couldn't justify buying more if I kill these). Anyway, I will try to send you a pic when I finish my little garden (if you want). Cross your fingers that I don't kill the poor things ;)

      Delete
    6. Best of luck Aubrey, and please send a picture! I hope it all works out for you!

      Delete